School ESL Program
By the completion of the High School ESL Course
1. Analyze, interpret, and respond critically to assigned readings
2. Increase vocabulary and understanding of English
3. Demonstrate control of the principles and techniques of effective
oral & written expression and of organizing and developing ideas in
composition / discussion.
=> Students should demonstrate the ability to do the following:
* Express an idea in a clear topic sentence (the general
subject and the specific parts).
4. Use appropriate grammatical and mechanical principles inherent to
effective English prose.
* Develop that idea with specific detail (the subject development).
* Organize the details clearly and effectively (organizational methods).
* Bring the composition / discussion to a conclusion concluding/summary
=> Students will eliminate the following errors:
* Sentence fragments
* Lack of agreement between subject and verb
* Faulty pronoun usage
* Misuse of verb tense
* Misuse of apostrophe
* Misuse of punctuation
* Incorrect verb endings
* Awkward sentence structure
* Slang and non-standard English
* Misuse of capitals
5. Have a clear idea about the TOEFL, EEE, and SAT.
6. Successfully complete all assignments and tasks which will focus
on the development of (a) writing skills, (b) reading skills and (c) critical
7. Use specific academic skills necessary for successful study at
the college level.
8. Participate effectively in group and individual oral communicative
& Written Presentations: Grading
|English-language learners may pick up conversational
English, or Basic Interpersonal Communicative Skills (BICS), within two
years, but school language, or Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency
Skills (CALPS), may take 5 to 7 years, or even longer (Collier, 1987; Cummins,
here to go to a Detailed ESL High School Program
Community School (ACS)- Beirut- Lebanon
Kathleen Kabbani & Nada AbiSamra
Nov. 10, 2000 | Last updated: Jun. 8, 2002
© 2000-2002 Nada AbiSamra